Gold is a pay channel for comedy lovers; our aim is to give our viewers a guaranteed laugh. Our target audience are mainstream viewers, mixed gender, lovers of iconic British comedy - our viewers tune in to feel good.
We want to reinvigorate the core "crown jewels" of our content by finding creative ways of using our archive, whilst also attracting iconic comedy talent to the channel and demonstrating our commitment to brand new scripted content. We want Gold to remain the home of the best of British archive content whilst at the same time cementing its reputation as an increasingly prolific and innovative creator of original comedy content for scripted and non-scripted. Viewers tune in for talent, much loved titles and headline grabbing ideas.
Core areas - non-scripted
- Top talent with passion projects that feel distinctive and fresh.
- Archive or retrospective shows that hero the archive in unusual ways.
- Top talent celebrating the best of British comedy, either with new comedic material or attention-grabbing entertainment formats.
- Authored journeys with well-known gold talent.
Core areas - scripted
- Characters that will attract the best talent (national treasures) will help ideas advance.
- Top talent with passion projects that feel distinctive and fresh are welcome.
- Warm, highly relatable, funny stories that speak to modern life in a way that's timely and relevant, while delivering big laughs.
- Stories centring on modern, multigenerational families and/or communities that will appeal to our broad target audience (avoid skewing too old, 45-55 is Gold's key demo).
- Ideas that bring a fresh, contemporary approach to sitcom or narrative comedy (N.B. We are not looking for ideas that feel 'traditional' or similar to the classic sitcoms we acquire).
- We are not currently looking for mock-doc, high concept or fantasy series, or ideas that feel to derivative of existing, well-known shows.
Newark, Newark, The Cockfields, Sandylands, The Story of Only Fools & Horses, Dinnerladies Diaries, Lenny Henry's Race Through Comedy, Britain's Greatest Comedian, Murder on the Blackpool Express, Death on the Tyne, Dial M For Middlesborough, Ricky and Ralph's Very Northern Road Trip, David Jason: Planes, Trains and Automobiles.
Idea dependent. 3x30' or 1x90' for pilots followed by 6x30' for series are the norm. This is flexible, format dependent.
Proposals should be one to two pages in length. They should clearly state what the proposition is and how the format works in brief. To ensure your idea is logged and tracked, please submit the proposal to email@example.com.
Please only send in a proposal if you are affiliated with or from an independent production company.