2nd October 2023
- TV channel Gold is challenging individuals across the nation to craft topical and witty Christmas cracker jokes based on the events of 2023.
- Top prize of £1,500 experience and travel vouchers, a bespoke set of Christmas crackers featuring the winning jokes and even a full-size novelty turkey costume from new show 'Blood Actually: A 'Murder, They Hope' Mystery' as worn by comedian Lee Mack.
- The nine runners up will also receive a festive hamper of treats and set of the bespoke Gold crackers.
The nation's favourite comedy channel Gold has announced the return of its annual Christmas cracker joke competition, which challenges the British public to write their best festive gags - inspired by the events of the last 12 months.
Last year's winning joke, crowned by public vote, was a topical take on politicians dampening the festive mood, which read: "What type of peas ruin Christmas Dinner? MPs" - while 2021's top timely quip was about the rising cost of fuel: "Why are people cutting back on Brussels sprouts this Christmas? The cost of gas is too high!'
TV channel Gold has once again launched its joke-writing competition to encourage the nation to get creative with comedic and festive twists on current events and trends.
From sporting moments such as England's Lionesses reaching the World Cup final and royal milestones such as King Charles' Coronation to political infamy such as Partygate and pop culture phenomenon including the Barbie movie's spread of pink across the nation, the aim is to get the country chuckling and keep spirits high this Christmas.
The competition is open from today until 11.59pm on Monday 16th October 2023. Entries must be made by tweeting original, witty and family-friendly Christmas jokes with the hashtag #GoldCrackers and following @GoldChannel on X (formerly Twitter, to be able to contact winners).
The winner will receive £1,500 experience and travel vouchers, a festive-themed food and drink hamper, an incredible novelty turkey costume worn in new show 'Blood Actually: A 'Murder, They Hope' Mystery' by Lee Mack and their joke will be included in a personalised set of crackers ready to pull on the big day.
The nine runners-up will also receive a festive Christmas hamper and a box of bespoke Gold Christmas crackers, which include the top six winning jokes.
HOW TO ENTER
Open to all UK residents aged 18 and over. To enter:
- Tweet an original Christmas-themed joke via your personal X (formerly Twitter) account including #GoldCrackers and be following @GoldChannel
- Gold is looking for the most original festive jokes that put a comedy twist on the news agenda or pop culture across the past year
- Jokes must be original content and suitable for a family audience (e.g. no swear words or offensive content)
- The joke entry must be in short form content (i.e. not exceed 140 characters), including #GoldCrackers
- Multiple entries are allowed
- All entrants must follow @GoldChannel on X (formerly Twitter) so we can notify the winners - but the @GoldChannel handle does not need to be included in the joke entry
- Competition ends at 23:59 on 16/10/2023
For further information on the terms and conditions, please visit: https://gold.uktv.co.uk/article/gold-christmas-crackers-joke-competition-2023/
The best jokes will be shortlisted by a panel led by comedy critic and editor of comedy website Beyond The Joke, Bruce Dessau.
Bruce Dessau said:
This competition allows the British public to flex their funny bones and collectively contribute to the groans and giggles that come with Christmas cracker jokes and I've no doubt that this year will see another fantastic selection of topical festive jests.
Gerald Casey, Gold channel director, said:
We at Gold are delighted to once again challenge the nation to come up with witty and contemporary Christmas cracker jokes that get the whole country feeling festive in the run-up to Christmas, proving that laughter is the gift that keeps on giving!
With the success of Gold's 'Christmas Cracker' competition across the last eleven years, the channel is welcoming back the chance to once again share the festive cheer. To be in with a chance of winning, the festive funnies must be within 140 characters, to keep jokes short and snappy like the very best crackers!
Dedicated to celebrating the best of British comedy, Gold is the nation's favourite comedy channel.
Classic British comedy series loved by all the family sit comfortably alongside new UKTV Original scripted comedies crafted by some of the nation's finest comedic minds, such as Dad's Army: The Lost Episodes, Murder, They Hope, The Cockfields and Sandylands. Meanwhile Gold's unscripted series reunite the stars and partnerships of the nation's best-loved shows to get to the heart of what makes them so evergreen - from passion projects such as French & Saunders: Funny Women, Billy Connolly Does..., Lenny Henry's Race Through Comedy and Ricky and Ralf's Very Northern Road Trip to the retrospective likes of dinnerladies diaries and The Fast Show: Just A Load of Blooming Catchphrases.
Gold is the perfect tonic to make you laugh whatever the time of day.
UKTV has been at the forefront of branded television for over 30 years, entertaining the nation with programmes they love. Its leading brands - Dave, Gold, W, Drama, Alibi, Eden and Yesterday - span comedy, entertainment, natural history, factual and drama, and are delivered to audiences through UKTV Play, Freeview, Sky, Virgin Media, BT, TalkTalk, YouView, Freesat and Amazon Fire. The broadcaster is a significant investor in British creativity and is committed to working with new and established writers, directors and programme-makers.
UKTV is part of BBC Studios, the UK's most-awarded production company, a world-class distributor with international branded services, and a commercial subsidiary of the world's leading public service broadcaster, the BBC.
Further information please contact:
Rosie Barker: email@example.com